This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, September 2, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge

I have been terrible about my blogging this year. Plenty of good intentions, but very little follow-through. So today I stopped by Swords & Dorkery and saw the D&D 30 Day Challenge and decided it is just what I needed to light a fire under my ass. Today's post is a combo - Day 1 and Day 2, and then hopefully I will keep pace with the challenge the rest of the month.

How I Got Started

Hard to pin down exactly what year it was, but I know for sure I was playing in 6th grade, so right around 77 or 78. My brother had taught me chess, Avalon Hill board games, things like that. Then D&D came home one day. I had the Holmes Blue Box, and my brother had the AD&D hardbacks. Mikey taught me how to play, and we had plenty of 1-on-1 sessions with Mikey DMing and me playing.

I played with some elementary school and junior high classmates too, and we had hours of fun playing all sorts of characters through various adventures: White Plume Mountain, Survival of the Fittest, and many others. Sure, at times things took a Monty Haul turn, but we were kids! And then one fateful night I was invited to play with Mikey's friends (we went through a very long and memorable session in Tegel Manor), and I met some guys who I would game with from that day on, right up to present day. We joke about opening the first Old Gamers Home for elderly gamers, complete with large-font rulebooks so we can continue to play well into our golden years.

Since Mikey was very restless, cerebral, and always looking for another challenge, I was fortunate enough to try other systems too - Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls, Top Secret, and possibly one or two others. But D&D has always been and will always be my game of choice.

Favorite Playable Race

I am going to go with humans, although you wouldn't know it from my last couple of choices (current character is a 13th level sun elf wizard, previous character was an 8th or 9th level gnome cleric). I enjoy their all-around versatility and adaptability.

No comments: