This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Unreleased TSR Draconian by David C. Sutherland III

In December's Lead Market Report, I noted the sale of an unreleased Draconian, sculpted for TSR by David C. Sutherland III. This particular mini sold for $305, way too rich for me but I'm sure it made the new owner very happy. Recently, a fellow collector on the Acaeum forums disclosed he too acquired a Draconian from The Collector's Trove (who auctioned off the aforementioned $305 mini).

My fellow Acaeumite (Brian Beholder) was kind enough to share some nice close-up pics of the Draconian, so I am happy to be able to share BB's pics with you folks. There wasn't much background info other than the eBay listing claims it bears a TSR 1984 hallmark, same as my unreleased Sutherland ogre. To me, it seems likely these unreleased Sutherland minis (Draconian, female fighter, and ogre) were all sculpted around the same time, and were likely test castings, possibly to try out new alloys. Enjoy the pictures!






1 comment:

David Wood said...

I often wonder how many more unreleased pieces we will find over time.....so much to catalogue and collect.